1. Hydra is able to perform all the following functions except …….
A. feeding B. movement C. photosynthesis D. egestion 2. When a person’s urine contains a high concentration of urea, it could be as a result of …..
A. a drop in body temperature B. having C. eating a meal rich in proteins D. drinking a large amount of water 3. How many conjugants are involved in sexual reproduction of ?
A. 1 B. 2 C 4 D. 8 4. Biosphere is best described as …..
A. all parts of the earth where life exist
B. the non-living parts of an ecosystem
C. all components of an ecosystem
D. all the members of a single species in a habitat 5. An importance of food web is that living organisms ….
A. use web to collect food B. can live on their own C. have to form a web D. depend on one another for their existence
6. Which of the following features enables tapeworm to live successfully in the small intestine of human?
A. Possession of flame cells for excretion
B. A long neck for forming young proglottids
C. Hooks and suckers for strong attachment
D. The absence of segmentation and appendages 7. If a piece of abandoned farmland went through a series of floral and faunal changes and become
established with a permanent plant and animal population, it could be said to have undergone …….
A. evolution B. succession C. transformation D. competition 8. Which of these physiological variations is sex-linked? ..
A. Albinism B. Blood groups C. Sickle –cell anaemia D. Haemophilic condition 9. The ability of some individuals to taste phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) is a …..
A. morphological adaptation
B. morphological variation
C. physiological adaptation
D. physiological variation 10. The theory of evolution by natural selection was first put forward by ….
A. Aristotle B. Darwin C. Linnaeus D. Boyle
30. Which vitamin is produced by the action of ultraviolet light on the skin?
1. What is the capital of Paraguay?
B. Del Potro
D. Puerto Rico
2. How many times was Franklin D. Roosevelt elected US president?
3. Hymen was the Greek god of what?
4. What is the Decalogue usually called?
A. The Decathlon
B. The Ten Commandments
C. The Last man standing
D. The Vatican’s 10th Cardinal
5. What does a somnambulist do?
6. What is Harley Davidson famous for manufacturing?
B. Motor Cycles
C. Motorised mowers
D. Mercedes Benz engines
7. What is the French national anthem called?
A. Le Marseillaise
B. The spangled omen
C. God save the Qeen
D. Freedom song
8. Who wrote a brief history of time?
A. Albert Einstein
B. Leonardo de Vinci
C. George Bell
D. Stephen Hawkins
9. Which movie studio has a roaring lion as its company symbol?
B. Roaring Lion
10. If you were at Geneva airport, in which country would you be?
Read the passage below and answer the questions that follow.
Erosion in nature is a beneficent process without which the world would have died long ago. The same process, accelerated by human mismanagement, has become one of the most vicious and destructive forces that have ever been released by man. ‘Geological erosion’ or ‘denudation’ is an early and important process in soil formation, whereby the original rock material is continuously broken down and sorted by wind and water until it becomes suitable for colonization by plants. Plants, by the binding effects of their roots, by the protection they afford against rain and wind and by the fertility they impart to the soil, bring denudation almost to a standstill. Nevertheless, some slight denudation is always occurring. As each superficial film of plant-covered soil becomes exhausted it is removed by rain or wind, to be deposited mainly in the rivers and sea, and a corresponding thin layer of soil forms by slow weathering of the underlying rock. The depth is sometimes only a few inches, occasionally several feet deep, but within it lies the whole capacity of the earth to produce life. Below that thin layer comprising the delicate organism known as soil is a planet as lifeless as the moon.
1 . ‘Geological erosion’ means the same as
A. soil erosion
B. natural erosion
C. erosion by man
D. all of the above
A. is an important process in soil formation
B. destroys the surface of the earth
C. results from man’s reduction of soil fertility
D. will bring national extinction
3. One important function of plants is to:
A. denude the soil
B. bind and fertilize the soil
C. erode the soil to smoothness
D. look pretty
4. The layer of soil is generally
A. between a few inches and a few feet deep.
B. miles deep
C. never more than a few inches deep
D. as lifeless as the moon.
5. Choose the most appropriate option nearest in meaning to the italicized or bold
word/phrase. Practising law is not as lucrative as people think.
6 Choose the most appropriate option nearest in meaning to the italicized or bold
word/phrase. The family puts up a brave face but their financial situation is precarious
7. Choose the most appropriate option opposite in meaning to the italicized or bold
word/phrase. As is usually the case when Tanus got involved, the discussion became
8. Choose the most appropriate option opposite in meaning to the italicized or bold
word/phrase. Gender-sensitivity is part of the new political correctness.
9. Which of the following highlighted consonants is pronounced differently from the
10. Which of these words has a vowel pronounced differently from the others?