The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed five new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases to eight.
Health Minister Osagi Ehanire confirmed the cases during a press conference on Wednesday in Abuja, the country’s capital.
He said that of the five new cases, three came from the United States and two from Britain.
“We are still gathering information about travelers. Two out of three in the US are Nigerian, mother and 6-week-old babies. That is the youngest COVID-19 patient we have.
“The third is an American citizen who has crossed the border to be the first COVID-19 case that does not exist in the air. The second case in Britain is Nigeria.”
The Minister noted that a detailed history of each person’s trip had been made and contacts were now being tracked to identify people who had recently made contact with someone.
“The National Emergency Operations Center (EOC), which is operated by the Nigerian Centers for Disease Control (NCDC) and supported by partners, supports the response in these countries.
“The federal government conducts a risk assessment through the Federal Ministry of Health to support decision making.
“We urge citizens not to panic, but to enable health professionals to manage their responses in a calculated and scientific way. Incorrect information and hearing that causes fear and panic must be avoided at such times.
“COVID-19 cases have mild symptoms and are recovering so far.”
Dr. Ehanire urged Nigerians to protect themselves and their families and to continue to be careful as advised.
He said the government would do anything to protect the health of citizens.